We sat down with Tulfarris Touring Professional, Simon Thornton to find out what makes the European Tour winner tick both on and off the course.
26 Quick Fire Questions With Tulfarris Touring Professional Simon Thornton
1) Top tips for event preparation?
Start planning the night before, arrive early, never rush on tournament days, stay calm. European Open in Germany one year. My courtesy car was late, I had no phone reception and I was in a hotel alone with no other players, I got to the course 10 mins before my t time……. I had no time to warm up, but I had everything ready the night before (thanks to my caddy!!) so I didn’t need to rush around panicking. Mentally it does affect your game and frame of mind.
2) What are your favourite foods?
Definitely Chinese & Thai.
3) Have you any family/kids?
My wife Ciara, we're married 14 years, my two children Katie (8) and Ryan (6).
4) What do you get up to when you're not beating balls on the range?!
I’m either kicking a ball with my son or baking cakes with my daughter! My guilty pleasure is gardening!
5) What does your typical morning look like?
I get up around 7:15 am, get the kids ready for school, drop them off, down to practice until lunch. I will hit balls or go to the gym if the weather is bad!
6) What is your favourite golf club?
My putter Odyssey 1W.
7) What is your favourite golf course?
Maybe a little biased, but Royal County Down or La National, Paris Ryder Cup course this year.
8) What is your favourite memory on tour?
Obviously Winning in 2013
9) What car do you drive?
10) Tell us something about yourself that shocks most people?
I sucked my thumb till I was 16!
11) Have you any pets?
Not yet – my kids would love a dog!
12) When did you start playing golf?
I started late 17/18 really, I always played pitch and putt etc but never practised until I left school at 18.
13) If you didn't turn professional, what do you think you'd be doing/working at instead?
Something to do with sport, I love all sports but to be honest I’ve no idea
14) Who is your favourite golfer?
Has to be Tiger Woods.
15) What is your inspiration?
16) On a night out, what is your drink of choice?
Carlsberg, or Hendricks & Tonic (when I’ve had enough beer!).
17) Do you play any other sports?
I coach Kids soccer, snooker in the winter, a bit of tennis, mountain biking and running.
18) What is your favourite city in the world?
19) Have you a favourite location in Ireland to visit?
Has to be the Mourne Mountains.
20) What is your favourite thing about Tulfarris?
The setting, it’s a great course in a great setting.
21) Are you excited to host the EuroPro Tour Irish Masters this year?
Yes, I cannot wait, the standard of the EuroPro Tour has got better each year, so it will be great for the Resort to host such an event and for the players to play the course.
Trendygolf (online shop) – apart from being a sponsor of mine you can get everything you need for golf and more. Perhaps House of Fraser – you can get everything you need in one shop.
23) Are you on social media?
Yes, I'm on Facebook, Twitter (@sthorntongolf), Instagram (but don’t do anything really), I'm trying to reduce my social media – I’m a bit old school, I’d rather be doing something than sitting flicking on social media.
24) Have you any bad habits?
Biting my nails.
25) What has been your proudest achievement so far?
Personally – becoming a father to my two children, professionally – winning on the European Tour.
26) Favourite Football team?
Simon will be hosting our EuroPro Tour event, The Irish Masters in August 2018. Spectator entry to this event will be free of charge, with lots of fun activities for all ages to enjoy!
Posted: April 27th, 2018