1-1.5kg Featherblade (trimmed & all silverskin removed)
(this is for a joint of meat it can also be cut into 250g potions & done the same as individual steaks)
2-3 tbsp Oil for frying
Pinch of Salt & Pepper
1 Large Onion – Peeled & Quartered
2 Carrots – Cut in Large chunks
4 Garlic cloves
1 Sprig- Rosemary
1 Bay Leaf
4 Peppercorns Whole
2tbsp Tomato puree
250ml Red Wine
250ml Beef Stock or water
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Pat beef dry. Season the beef well with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a high heat until shimmering. Brown the beef on all sides and ends. Remove from pan & place in deep container .
- Add vegetables to pan and sauté until nicely browned. Then add herbs and garlic and place in the container with the beef.
- Add liquid to the pan. Bring up to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom. Add to beef with the rest of the vegetables ensuring the beef is well covered.
- Top with baking parchment, cover tightly with cling film and tin foil and place a lid on top also. Put in pre heated oven and cook for 4 – 4.5 hours until meat is very tender.
- Remove beef from the oven, and place on a plate. Strain the cooking liquid into a large pan and skim off any fat that appears. Press through the vegetables, add puree to the pan and reduce to a sauce consistency that coats the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the sauce over the beef to coat and serve.